7/22/07

"How I Look on My Mistakes," by George W. Bush and Dick Cheney

Why did I not suspect that Dick might be power-hungry when he appointed himself vice president? Why did I let him take over my presidency and fill it up with warmongers.

If only I had kept my promise to go after the thugs who attacked us on 9/11, because now I’ve made Osama and Al Qaeda stronger. I know my false claim about Al Qaeda's ties with Iraq led to Iraq's being tied down by Al Qaeda. I see now that my bungled war on terror has created more terror, empowered Iran and made America less secure.

How could I have let Dick bring in his best friend, Rummy, my dad's old nemesis' Dummy Rummy let Osama escape at Tora Bora, messed up the Iraq occupation and aborted a mission to wipe out top Al Qaeda leaders because he was protecting Musharraf, who was protecting Al Qaeda in the tribal areas.

I'm embarrassed that the Iraqi Parliament is taking a monthlong vacation in the middle of my surge. Could I have set a bad example when I rode my bike in Crawford while New Orleans drowned?

Being the Decider is so confusing. I regret stealing the presidency and wish I could give it back.

P.S. Also featured:
"How I Look on My Mistakes,” by Dick Cheney

Buzz off.

[Excerpt of an article by Maureen Dowd, The New York Times]

No comments: